August 20, 2007

Passed!

A little bird just told me that my name has appeared on the flight manifest for October 11th. This means that I passed! I have successfully completed the PQ (physical qualification) screening process. Everyone that deploys to the ice must first complete a comprehensive PQ screening to ensure medical emergencies are averted. The following is my condensed story.

After verbally accepting the position, the process started with a drug test that I needed to submit in Springfield Vermont. I called Lab Corp (the contract lab facility) and told them what I needed done and they informed me that it was a “walk in” clinic and to stop by anytime. I took a long lunch at work one day and headed down. After showing up at their facility they informed me that I would need to come back the following week and arrive before noon. I was very upset that I had been misinformed and wasted two hours of my day, but the following week I successfully completed the drug screen.

Step two was getting all the information for the rest of the PQ off the internet. This was the first year Raytheon Polar Services Company (RPSC) did it entirely online and the instructions were less than perfect. The confusion first started when the instructions informed me to send the pink papers to DSG and the blue papers to HR… but I had printed them all off on plain white paper. The instructions where carry over from the hard copy days. I think I did fairly well with the paperwork but had some issues with pages getting stuck together going through the fax and forms going to the wrong departments.

Next I scheduled my doctor’s appointment as I wrote about in a previous post. When I received the bill from DHMC they did not apply my insurance and the bill came to $850. I was able to get that straightened out with a simple phone call. However when I called RPSC medical department in the beginning of August I found out that my doctors information had not yet been received. I called the hospital again and sure enough, my file was sitting on their desk. I got that faxed out only to receive an email from RPSC informing me that they didn’t have a release form (that I faxed to a different department) and a RPR blood test. I called DHMC to reschedule the RPR asap. I later found out that this is a test for antibodies caused from Syphilis and was a little embarrassing when they cute phlebotomist was drawing my blood. The good news is that I am now immune to the affects of needles and I don’t even get light headed. By the end of it, I got to know Gloria, the receptionist in the Occupational Medicine department, very well (thank you Gloria). Now I just hope they charge it correctly to my insurance.

The dental aspect went well except my dentist was on vacation and a new hygienist did the paperwork. It is also note worthy to mention the dental office is under construction and has a new x-ray machine with a few bugs in it. The hygienist had to “zap” me a few extra times and was still unable to get the fourth picture. I thought for sure I was going to have to go back.

After that whole saga, the PQ process is complete and I am now cleared to deploy to the ice. Next steps include finishing moving my stuff to Swanton and giving my notice at work. Stay tuned as I continue to prepare for my trip to the ice. Don't forget to sign the guest book!

1 comment:

Bob said...

Hey, Skip-

were you also POd that you had to *prep* (not drink) for the test, only to have to *prep* again? You were pretty grouchy during that time!
Best to you way way way down under.

Bob